EVELYN R. SYPHAX SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, PSYCHOLOGY AND INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES
The mission of the School is to produce a nationally validated program that develops a community of professionals competent and dedicated to improving humanity. These professionals will exhibit knowledge and skills in their fields of study, engage in life-long learning and will be committed to professional growth. The School encourages scholarly inquiry based on reflective analysis in search for excellence, solid values, and a sense of personal worth in diverse settings.
The goals of the Syphax School are as follows:
• Provide student learning opportunities and experiences that enable them to function effectively and successfully as citizens and professionals in today’s global society
• Prepare students to apply critical and creative thinking skills with respect to making good decisions as they encounter life’s challenges and opportunities
• Provide a supportive, caring and intellectuality stimulating learning environment that will enable students to advance successfully towards graduation
The Syphax School has two departments:
1) Teacher Education and Interdisciplinary Studies and 2) Psychology.
Message from the Dean
Master of Arts (M.A) in Curriculum and Instruction
The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree is offered in Psychology.
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree is offered in:
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Elementary Education Pre-K-6
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Special Education General Curriculum K-12
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Community-Based Education
(Students interested in Secondary Education declared a major in their selected subject area)
PK-16 PARTNERSHIPS AND COLLABORATIONS
The Syphax School is engaged in several partnerships and collaborations with the PK-16 Learning Community.
- Project Empowerment (improving Minority Disability Research Capacity)
- Pre-Service Teacher Math and Science Initiative
- Early Field Experience Tutoring Program
- Teacher 2 Teacher Conference
- Saturday Academy
- Student Teachers Partnering for success
- Early Field Experience for Tomorrow’s Teachers
- University Faculty Support Program
OTHER LINKS AND RESOURCES
Syphax School Fact Sheet
Student Teaching Handbook
Teacher Education Handbook
VUU TK20 Website