Apply Now!
Give Now
VUU Admissions

Enrollment Process for International Students



Enrollment Steps

1. VUU Application and $25 non-refundable application fee
2. Official copy of all secondary and post-secondary transcripts 
3. Official copy of test scores, including TOFEL exam
4. Financial Verification Form 
5. Health Evaluation Form
6. Copy of passport 

Frequently Answered Questions

I am currently in the United States on a visitor's visa. How do I change my status to F-1? 
It is difficult and time consuming to change your status from a visitor's visa to a student visa unless U.S. immigration inspection noted in your passport that you were a prospective student at the time of your initial U.S. entry. Be aware that the change can be very time consuming and that you are legally unable to begin studies before the approval has been granted. You may want to consider leaving the country and re-entering with a student visa. If you decide you want to attempt the change of status in the country, you should contact VUU Enrollment Management staff to begin the paperwork as soon as you have been accepted by VUU.

How do I apply for a visa in my home country?
Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the city in your country nearest your home town to find out what the procedure is for applying for a nonimmigrant visa. You may need an appointment, or walk-in hours may be available. Prior to meeting with Embassy officials, you will need to pay a SEVIS fee to the U.S. government. At the time of your interview you will need to take along your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, documentation of your financial ability to support yourself and proof that you have ties to your home country.

I want to bring my spouse and children with me when I study. What shall I do? 
You will need to send VUU proof of your financial ability to support your family while you are a student. Once that has been obtained, VUU will issue an I-20 or DS-2019 with your family listed as your dependents. Your spouse and children will then make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, bringing along their I-20 or DS-2019, a copy of your I-20 or DS-2019, a copy of your passport and visa, proof of your financial abilities, and proof of their ties to your home country.

I have been accepted at VUU and plan to begin in the fall. What shall I bring with me when I come? 
You will, of course, want to bring personal clothing, money, photos of your family, and at least one small item of significance to you from home. In addition, we recommend that you bring at least one article of traditional clothing for wearing at special events and, if possible, small items of cultural art to decorate your apartment or room and to share during special occasions.

I will be staying in a VUU residence hall. What do I need to furnish my room? 
Your room will be furnished with all necessary furniture, but you will need bedding and toiletries. However, you may find it less expensive and more convenient to wait until you come to campus and purchase those items at a local store.

Will I be able to work while I am a student? 
You are legally allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during school breaks. Unless you have special permission from the Immigration Service, which is granted only in limited situations, you must confine this work to on-campus positions only. We encourage you to concentrate on studies and not seek any on-campus employment for at least one year following your initial entry.

I have been accepted at VUU and plan to begin in the fall. What should I expect when I go through immigration inspection upon arrival? 
You will be asked to produce your I-20 or DS-2019 or F-1 visa, passport and a small white card that you were handed on the airplane. Please be very careful in completing that card - make sure that your name matches the way your name is written in your visa. In addition, it is possible that the inspector will ask you for your financial documentation to prove that you have the means to pay for your education. Please have all these documents on your person, and not packed in your luggage.