School of Mathematics, Science, and Technology
Term of Appointment: 12 months (July 1-June 30)
Report to: Provost and VP for Academic Affairs
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement, in collaboration with department chairs and faculty, strategic priorities to (1) enhance academic excellence and student success across the school; (2) to establish and maintain community partnerships to enhance educational and career opportunities for students in disciplines in the school; (3) ensure financial viability of the school via sound fiscal management and support of grantsmanship; and (4) enhance institutional prominence by increasing opportunities for students to attend graduate and professional schools and enter careers;
- Be knowledgeable of the standards of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) regarding faculty credentials and assessment of program and course outcomes, university policies and procedures, school and departmental programs, and general policies and procedures of the Division of Academic Affairs;
- Provide leadership to faculty and staff in the areas of recruitment, retention and graduation of students in disciplines in the school;
- Provide for professional development for faculty and staff; Provide effective leadership to the school;
- Manage daily operations of the school;
- Teach at least three (3) semester hours each semester, and more as required;
- Monitor and evaluate faculty and staff job performance;
- Represent the school at various campus and off-campus events;
- Make budget recommendations and manage the school’s budget;
- Provide written reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and other university personnel and organizations and agencies beyond the university;
- Develop school course schedules, in concert with department chairs and faculty, and approve faculty teaching advisements;
- Hold school faculty meetings and forward minutes to the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs;
- Maintain appropriate records and files of the school’s business operations, faculty, and students; and
- Perform other duties as may be assigned for the efficient and effective operation of the school and university; and maintain office hours as all full-time administrators
Required Qualifications of the Dean:
- Terminal degree in a discipline taught in the school;
- Academic and professional accomplishments appropriate for an appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor;
- Five years in progressively responsible positions in academic administration, up to and including department chair; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
The total compensation for the dean shall be determined each contract period. The dean shall earn the standard vacation and sick leave time as provided to University staff members. Employment outside of Virginia Union University must be approved by the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Review of candidate materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should include a resume and a letter of interest and should be directed to: Virginia Union University, Human Resources Office, 1500 N. Lombardy St., Richmond, VA 23220. Applications may also be submitted to Resumes@vuu.edu. Any questions may be directed to the Director of Human Resources at 804-257-5841.
The selected candidate may be required to submit to a background investigation. VUU is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution committed to cultural, racial, and ethnic communities and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.