RESIDENCE HALL DIRECTOR
The Office of Residence Life and Housing at Virginia Union University (Richmond, Virginia) invites qualified applicants for the Residence Hall Director position. Residence Hall Directors are professional staff members who are responsible for administrative, educational and developmental duties pertaining to the safety and welfare for up to 200 students.
The Residence Hall Director position is a full-time, ten-month live-in position provided with a furnished on-campus apartment plus utilities and local telephone service, on-campus meals and laundry facilities at no cost. The position includes University benefits and salary that is commensurate with experience.
- Provides direct supervision and evaluation of paraprofessional staff members (Resident Assistants and Desk Assistants) including assisting with the recruitment, selection, placement and training of undergraduate Residence Hall staff,
- Provides leadership for the development and maintenance of positive residence hall communities through application of student development and learning practices,
- Provides leadership for the development, implementation, and evaluation of residence hall educational and social programming,
- Provides appropriate response to student concerns and behaviors, including crisis situations, behavioral concerns and student conflicts,
- Advises, confers and offers appropriate referrals for students who exhibit academic and personal concerns,
- Manage administrative tasks and procedures related to hall operations (maintenance work orders, key audits, budget management, room changes, etc.) and supervises resident check-in/out during openings and closings as well as breaks,
- Coordinate reports including occupancy management for assigned living areas, including managing room changes within the building and from one building to another, including roommate conflicts and roommate agreements,
- Maintains an accurate inventory of all keys, equipment, supplies and furniture within the assigned residence hall,
- Requests maintenance and custodial repairs and ensures completion in a timely manner,
- Prepares all required reports, records and evaluations promptly and accurately as assigned,
- Establishes and maintains a positive working and collaborative relationship with Residence Life and Housing staff, Facilities Management, University Police, Counseling Services, Student Integrity & Conduct and other offices within the division of Enrollment Management & Student Affairs and the University,
- Maintains regular office hours on a weekly basis,
- Participates in rotation of on-call responsibilities and be available for extended work days, weekend duty, activities and emergencies,
- Presents and attends appropriate professional development events for continued professional and personal growth of self and Residence Life & Housing staff,
- Complete other assignments and duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life & Housing or his/her designee,
A Bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree in Student Personnel, Student Affairs or Higher Education is preferred. Experience developing residence hall communities, providing educational and personal support for students, responding to student concerns and behaviors, advising student organizations, facility and administrative management, and participation in department initiatives and campus life is preferred. The position requires excellent written and verbal communications, organization, and problem solving skills. Individuals who are able to work in a continuously changing organization and are highly motivated are best suited for this position.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of candidate materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should include a resume with three references and a cover letter. Inquiries and applications should be directed to: Virginia Union University, Office of Human Resources, Residence Hall Director Search Committee, 1500 N. Lombardy St., Richmond, VA 23220, or e-mailed to Resumes@vuu.edu.). Please call (804) 257-5841 with any questions.