WRITING ACROSS THE CURRICULUM (WAC) COORDINATOR
Department: Center for Undergraduate Studies
Division: Academic Affairs
The Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) Coordinator is a 12-month position offered by the Division of Academic Affairs’ Center for Undergraduate Studies. The qualified candidate will manage the implementation of Virginia Union University’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) strategies. The position reports to the Director of the Center for Undergraduate Studies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The WAC Coordinator will:
- Implement Writing Intensive (WI) courses
- Coordinate training for faculty on electronic portfolios and other WAC initiatives (working closely with the Faculty Development Committee)
- Monitor the effectiveness and progression of WI courses and other WAC initiatives including the VUU Writing Center
- Supervise the monitor of the VUU Writing Center
- Lead and work closely with multi-disciplinary team in regards to progression of the program and other concerns
- Designate other teams or committees as needed for the effectiveness of the program
- Generate annual assessment reports on the QEP initiatives to be submitted to Director of Institutional Effectiveness and the Vice President for Academic Affairs (the five-year impact report will be compiled from these reports)
- Attends University faculty meetings
- Other related duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: The minimum degree for this position is a Masters degree in English/Rhetorical Writing or English/Technical Writing; however, a doctorate degree is preferred.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities: The ideal candidate should have superior administrative skills, computer proficiency, and be able to work with diverse population of students, faculty, and administration. Candidates must be knowledgeable of higher education practices with regard to academic standards and knowledge of WAC strategies. Qualified persons must possess skills in operating a computer and various software packages, the ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form, and the ability to prioritize multiple projects.
Experience: At least three years of professional experience in higher education is desired. Experience with teaching English composition (writing) courses with knowledge of various writing strategies to maintain an effective writing program is preferred.
Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application: For qualified applicants, the application packet should contain a letter of interest, resume, and three current letters of recommendation. Application packets may be e-mailed to Resumes@vuu.edu. Mail completed package to the following address: Virginia Union University, Office of Human Resources, Attn: Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) Coordinator Search Committee, 1500 North Lombardy Street, Richmond, VA 23220
The selected applicant may be required to submit to a background investigation. VUU is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution committed to cultural, racial, and ethnic communities and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. It is expected that successful candidates share in this commitment. Persons who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources at 804.257.5841.