Admission Requirements - Doctor of Ministry
Persons seeking admission to the Doctor of Ministry program must hold the Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree or its formal equivalent from a university or college accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) or a similar international theological accrediting agency.
Additionally, candidates must have a “B” average in previous graduate level work, current professional involvement in ministry, and at least 3 years of ministry experience since their theological education.
1. Official Transcripts - applicants must submit official sealed transcripts from all colleges, universities and seminaries attended. Please note previous students of Virginia Union University (undergraduate and/or graduate school) must also submit an official transcript.
2. 4 Letters of recommendation - letters of recommendation must accompany the application and come from the following sources:
- College Professor
- Colleague (Professional or Ministerial)
- Pastor or Ministerial Supervisor
- Friend or Mentor
In review of recommendation letters, the School of Theology is looking for intellectual preparedness to do doctoral work, promise of leadership skills, innovative ideals, moral character, and consecration to the work of ministry.
3. Narrative Statement – to support the request for admission, the applicant must submit an integrated narrative statement that addresses the following five areas:
1. Personal Development
2. Professional Experience
3. Educational Development
4. Skill Evaluation
5. Theological Development
4. Official Application – all applicants must submit the DMIN application with the $25 fee. The application is located on the website. You may call the office to request a written application form, it must be typed.
Although applications may be submitted at any time, admission decisions for the Doctor of Ministry Program are only made during the Spring of each year. Only completed applications are reviewed. The deadline for completed applications is April 1st. Notification of admission decisions will be issued by May 30th.
**Submission of Application does not guarantee acceptance**
ADMISSIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
International applicants must submit the above requirements with the following additions:
1. Financial Statement – this document is required for all international students requesting an I-20 form. The Financial Statement must indicate financial resources to cover the cost of attendance.
2. Official Bank Statement – students must submit a bank statement on official bank letterhead certifying the funds available or a signed statement by the student’s sponsor(s).
3. Residential Form – international students must present this form to verify with whom they will reside while in the United States.
4. Immunization Form – Virginia state law requires proof of required vaccinations.
5. Language – In the case of students who have not studied in the United States, a TOEFL or TWE may be required.
International monies must show the appropriate conversion rates to the US dollar. The university issues I-20’s only after the applicant is accepted to the university.
For questions about the Doctor of Ministry Program, call 804-257-5724 or email email@example.com.