OFFICE OF STUDENT ACTIVITIES & LEADERSHIP
What We Do…
What we do in the Office of Student Activities is…
Plan, implement, and evaluate university-wide programs within the CAPSL Model including, but not limited to: lectures, speakers, panel discussions, cultural fairs and festivals, awareness days, and concerts; manage the Henderson Student Center and the Panthers’ Den; register and provide oversight to student organizations and make their information available to all students; provide oversight to Black Greek Lettered Organizations (BGLOs) and advise the National Pan-Hellenic Council-VUU Chapter, provide programs and services that directly address the needs of commuter students; offer safe, quality programs through the intramural and recreation sport program, and assist with other special programs while assisting students to develop intellectually, personally and professionally.
Henderson Student Center
The Henderson Student Center houses both student space and administrative offices. The student space includes the Panthers’ Den (combined Commuter Lounge and Game Room), Study Room Annex, registered student organization mailboxes, the Panther’s Grille, Ballrooms 10-12, Student Dining Hall, Faculty and Staff Dining Room, University Mailroom, and the Student Government Association office.
The administrative offices housed in the Henderson Student Center are the Division of Student Affairs, and the offices of Judicial Affairs, Residence Life, Student Activities, Undergraduate Admissions, Leadership Development, Career Planning and Placement, Counseling and Student Development Center and Student Health Services. Whether you come to the Henderson Student Center for work or play we have exactly what you are looking for.
Henderson Student Center Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8am - 11pm
Fridays: 8am - 9pm
Saturdays: 2pm - 9pm
Sundays: 2pm - 9pm
Students are encouraged to expand their developmental horizons by participating in the various student organizations at Virginia Union University. As you well know, “Membership has its privileges”, and at Virginia Union University, our student leaders are members of an elite group. They participate in various workshops, seminars, planning and feedback sessions that serve to make them better leaders.
(Click on Student Organization for more information about student organizations at VUU.)
The Office of Student Activities coordinates five major programs throughout the Academic Year. These programs include:
- New Student Orientation consists of fall, spring and summer opportunities for prospective Virginia Union University students and their families to get familiar with our beautifully quaint campus.
- Homecoming Activities are centered around our annual homecoming football game. Past homecoming activities included carnivals, parties, Greek step-shows, live concerts, student vs. faculty basketball games, bonfires, pep rallies, class competitions, residence hall step-shows, etc. Homecoming draws alumni back to the campus for fun, relaxation and remembering “back in the day.”
- Intramurals (Flag Football, Basketball, Dodge Ball, Poll Tournaments, etc.) is an opportunity for VUU students to engage in organized, competitive, intra-collegiate sports in a safe atmosphere. The intramurals program promotes exercise, sportsmanship, and healthy competition for all who participate and watch.
- Midnight Madness is four nights (10p-2a) of stress relief activities that are offered during finals week each semester to help student take a study break.
- Panther Fest is a weeklong of activities and programs for the entire University community to take part in. These activities take place every year in April. Students are welcomed by the warm Virginia sun to let loose of all the pressures of college for 1 week and just have fun.
- In addition, we sponsor “Something’s’ at 7”, which deal with provocative issues that impact our students, game tournaments, movie nights, prize giveaways, cultural programs all for the enjoyment of the University community. These programs and activities are typically sponsored at 7:00 pm.
For more information on these and other programs presented by the Office of Student Activities at Virginia Union University, please contact the office using the phone number or email address listed below.
To Contact Us:
Henderson Student Center, Suite 120
1500 North Lombardy Street
Richmond, VA 23220