About The Center for Small Business Development
The Center’s Programs and Services have one goal – to assist potential and current small business owners, nonprofits and churches build, manage, and grow to become more profitable and successful in their localities.
- Are you operating a small business or non-profit and need help?
- Do you have a great idea for a small business and don’t know what to do first?
- Did you launch your home-based business and now you need a plan?
- Do you need to generate more customer traffic or cash flow in your small business?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, the Center’s Entrepreneurship Educational Training is what you need, and the Center provides it when you need it.
The Center accomplishes this through:
- Small Business Certification Program – provides technical knowledge to small business owners who need assistance in developing business plans and business financing/loan resources or who plan to submit bids to secure governmental contracts.
- Small Business Workshops—provides current information on topics and trends important to the small business owner.
- Small Business Outreach Program—strengthens the relationship between small business owners and non-profits with their communities.
- Entrepreneurship Educational Training-- motivates college students and youth to consider entrepreneurship as a career choice.
- Internship Program -- provides students practical work experience in their major area and youthful enthusiasm to community businesses.
Competitive Differences and Distinctive Competencies
Virginia Union University:
- Is Richmond’s only Private Urban University, uniquely positioned in the Richmond Metro Area to offer business development training to include establishment of businesses, assistance in the operational effectiveness of the business, assistance in business certifications, professional certification training, e-Courses, and Workforce Development training to the local business community and citizens.
- Has a proud tradition of preparing African Americans and other underrepresented groups to pursue their goals and become successful leaders in the Commonwealth of Virginia and around the country.
- Is strategically positioned to focus on the community need in the Richmond Metro Area
VUU Center for Small Business Development:
- Will serve in the capacity of providing guidance and support to the Richmond Metro Area underrepresented small businesses, churches, and the community at large.
- The mission of the Center is to strengthen the underrepresented entrepreneurial community through a focus on cultivating an entrepreneurial mind set and capacity building.
- The Center’s Programs and Services have one goal – to assist potential and current SBOs and nonprofit organizations, such as churches, build, manage, and grow to become more profitable and successful in their localities.