Student Expectations & Responsibilities
Virginia Union University
The Writing Center, Ellison Hall 206
One-on-one tutoring assistance is available in the Writing Center during set hours designated for walk-ins (drop-in tutoring) or by appointment.
- When you attend a tutoring session, come prepared with assignment instructions and draft paper (if any), and ready to outline your specific needs in that subject area or paper.
- No appointment is necessary for drop-in tutoring. Students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If you chose to receive appointment tutoring, appointments should be made at least 3 days in advance.
- You are expected to report on time to appointment tutoring sessions.
- Each appointment tutoring session may last up to 1 hour.
- Please make every effort to notify tutors of appointment cancelations at least 24 hours in advance.
- If you miss two appointment sessions without canceling, you will receive a warning. Three (3) “no shows” may result in loss of tutorial services for the remainder of the semester.
- You are expected to notify the Writing Center Coordinator and your tutor immediately if you no longer require the services of your tutor. (Example: you decide to drop the course.)
- Your tutor will have a check in/out form for you to fill out each time you receive tutoring. In addition, please complete the Evaluation of Tutor form at the end of your tutorial session.
- Any questions or problems/concerns with your tutor should be brought to the attention of the Writing Center Coordinator in person or via email at RMShelton@vuu.edu or phone at (804) 257-5638.
Updated: June 2014