Virginia Union University Student Code of Conduct
Office of Student Integrity & Conduct
STUDENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All student members of the University community are entitled to the following rights upon admission to Virginia Union University:
- The right to be treated with dignity and respect by those within the University community.
- The rights of freedom of expression and belief, freedom of association and peaceful assembly, and freedom from personal force and violence, threats of violence and personal abuse.
- The right to a clear statement of student rights and responsibilities.
- The right to privacy of confidential institutional records.
- The right to pursue academic and extracurricular activities that support intellectual, spiritual, emotional, and personal growth.
- The right to competent instruction, campus support services, and University facilities.
- The right to have fair notice of all institutional rules and regulations, including the range of sanctions for misconduct.
- The right to a fundamentally fair hearing process, if charged with a violation of University policies and regulations.
- The right to learn in a safe campus community.
- The right to participate in the governance of the University through engagement in the Student Government Association.
- The right to prompt and courteous responses from University administration.
- The right to expect academic and administrative policies that support intellectual inquiry, learning, and growth.
- The right to exercise his/her right of free inquiry, expression and advocacy in a manner that does not interfere with the orderly functioning of the University.
- The right to be free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, religion, political views, sexual orientation, age, sex, military or other uniformed service, disability or any other characteristic protected under applicable local, state or federal law.
- The right to request reasonable accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
All student members of the University community are responsible for the following:
- The responsibility to uphold all Virginia Union University policies and regulations.
- The responsibility to exhibit classroom behavior that is conducive to the learning process.
- The responsibility to learn the content of a course of study, according to the standards of performance established by the faculty.
- The responsibility to treat all members of the University community with dignity and respect.
- The responsibility to carry and present University identification to University officials upon request.
- The responsibility to act as a good citizen.
- The responsibility to ensure that guests on campus behave in a manner consistent with University values.